Tongue Thrust Exercise
When considering a children’s orthodontist in Omaha, be sure to find a trusted, experienced, and reliable office. At Pedodontics, P.C., we go to great lengths to provide the best care and attention to all of our patients.
With an array of services, including braces and other orthodontic treatments, we are exceptionally qualified to provide our children’s orthodontists of Omaha patients with the best smiles possible. While part of this comes from our pediatric dentistry and orthodontic services, we also want to advise and educate on practices that may be harmful to your beautiful smile, and that includes tongue thrusting.
What Exactly Is Tongue Thrusting?
The act of tongue thrusting is often subconscious and done without any thought. It’s a natural reflex for some people but can cause serious problems down the line if not corrected. Tongue thrusting is the act of placing your tongue between your teeth, which then pushes them forward. It may not seem like a big deal, but it can have major repercussions.
Does Tongue Thrusting Have Negative Effects?
While it may not seem like a big deal, tongue thrusting can cause a number of problems. In fact, it is the leading cause of an incorrect bite, which can then lead to more serious dental problems. These problems include:
- An incorrect bite can lead to teeth grinding or clenching
- Misalignment of the teeth
- Problems with speech, such as a lisp
- Digestive problems, such as tongue thrusting can make it difficult to eat and digest food properly
- Poor oral hygiene, such as tongue thrusting, can make it difficult to brush and floss properly
Is There A Proper Technique For Tongue Thrusting?
Yes! If your tongue thrusts, there is a proper way to go about it. When you place your tongue between your teeth, be sure to:
- Use the tip of your tongue, not the flat part
- Place your tongue behind your upper teeth, not in front
- Gently touch your tongue to your teeth, don’t press
If you follow these steps, you can help to alleviate some of the negative effects of tongue thrusting.
Contact Pedodontics, P.C. Pediatric Dentist in Omaha Today
If you have any questions about tongue thrusting or any of our other services provided by our Pediatric Dentist in Omaha, please contact us today. We would be more than happy to answer any of your questions.