At Pedodontics, P.C., we are celebrating that summer is here! The season is unique this year because the pandemic is slowly coming to a close and everything is opening back up! Now that more people are itching to meet up with loved ones in person, schedules are changing. For lots of children, that means that summer break is here! And with everything from barbecues to state fairs, there are indulgences everywhere during the summer season. In our office, we strive to educate all of our patients in the Omaha community about oral health and maintenance. Here are some tips to keep you and your family’s oral health strong this year.
Summer Oral Health Tips
Here are some tips to keep you healthy this Summer:
- See your dentist this summer– Before you dive deep into summer, make sure to make an appointment with your dentist and orthodontist. Dental issues are a cumulative problem, so before you start enjoying those sugary treats/drinks, make sure your teeth are cleaned and checked.
- Keep a healthy diet– While it’s great to indulge during the summer, make sure to do so in moderation. Sugar can cause cavities, so it’s important to choose healthier options, such as fruit, yogurt, and dark chocolate. Overall, it’s important to maintain a balanced diet regularly.
- Sip through a straw– If you are drinking something sugary and acidic, drinking through a straw. This helps minimize the beverage’s contact with teeth, resulting in fewer stains and reduces the risk for cavities. To be eco-friendly, use a reusable or paper straw. Also, rinse with water after drinking to wash away the sugar and acid.
- Keep a travel set– If you are making travel plans, make sure to keep a teeth-cleaning travel set. Pack a travel-size toothbrush, toothpaste, and floss to keep handy for vacations, sleep-overs, and road trips.
- Avoid ice– It’s easy to chew on the ice during hot days, however, it’s hard on your teeth. Use ice to chill drinks . . . not as something to eat.
- Wear a mouthguard– If you are planning to play any contact sports, wear a mouthguard. A properly fitting mouth guard can reduce the chance of dental injuries by up to 60 times.
- Protect your lips– Part of caring for your oral health is making sure your lips are protected. Don’t forget to apply sunscreen on your lips. This helps to protect them from the sun’s harmful rays and reduces the risk of skin cancer.
Visit Your Local Dentist & Orthodontist This Summer!
At Pedodontics, P.C., we strive to provide high-quality orthodontic and dental treatment to children and teenagers in Omaha, Nebraska. Our doctors and staff are equipped and prepared to help our patients achieve their best-looking smiles. Contact us today if you’re thinking about a starting treatment or in need of a check-up! We are here to answer any questions or concerns you have. This summer is the perfect time to get your child on a path to better oral health!