One of the biggest questions patients ask is how long do braces take to make your teeth straight. On average, it takes about 12 to 24 months, but some patients do require up to 3 years of treatment. At the end of the day, everyone is different and there is no “one-size-fits-all” solution. At Pedodontics, P.C., we want everyone to receive a customized treatment plan that works for them and their needs. If you are looking for an estimate as to how long your braces will take, here is what you should take into consideration.
Factors that Determine the Length of Treatment
Different factors play into how long an orthodontic treatment can last.
- Type of treatment– There are several options a patient can choose when it comes to braces (depending on what they are eligible for and how much they’re willing to spend). This includes conventional metal braces, ceramic braces, lingual braces, and clear braces.
- Age– Young patients (teens and children) tend to get results faster than adults because their jaws are still growing, making the teeth easier to move. This, however, doesn’t mean all adults need to wear braces for two years or more. It also depends on someone’s dental history.
- Severity– Another factor is the severity of your orthodontic issue. Mild spacing/crowding can be fixed in a year or less, while severe cases could take much longer. Many different orthodontic problems determine how long a treatment plan will take.
- Patient Compliance– An orthodontic patient needs to follow all instructions provided by his or her orthodontist to ensure a successful treatment. If you do decide to get Invisalign, this plan requires discipline because you have the option to take off the aligners. This also includes maintaining proper oral hygiene, keeping up with your dental appointments, and using your orthodontic appliance as directed.
- Accidents/Emergencies– If the brackets in your braces break or if you lose an Invisalign tray, this can mean having to go back and adjust your treatment plan duration.
Can You Speed Up the Treatment Process?
In some cases, you can speed up orthodontic treatment. Speak with your orthodontist and see if they offer any alternative options to braces.
Talk to Us Today! Let Us Advise You!
At Pedodontics, P.C., we are here to help you decide what orthodontic treatment plan is best for you. Our first consultation will include taking pictures and X-rays of your mouth so we can come up with a customized program made specially made for you! Contact us today! We are here to answer any questions or concerns you have. We are proud to be your premier Omaha orthodontist.